"We are delighted to inform you that COTHM is taking the lead again by introducing kids cooking classes for kids between the age of 8-16 years. Our goal in producing Junior Chef COTHM is to provide the foundation for lifelong healthy eating."
Kids’ Cooking Studio helps to further this goal in several ways:
- By providing opportunities for children to improve their food preparation skills
- By teaching children healthy nutrition practices in a fun manner
- By giving children the opportunity to learn about foods from different cultures
- By improving social supports for children
- By enhancing community partnerships around the issue of child health
- By encouraging food security through promotion of affordable meal and snack ideas
If having fun and learning an important life skill are not enough for you, there are plenty of other educational benefits derived from taking part in a Kids’ Cooking Studio. Here are a few of the skills and learning abilities that kids can develop:
- Sensory skills: Through tasting, hearing, touching, smelling and seeing, children will be exposed to and identify different foods.
- Motor skills: Being actively involved with food will help large and fine motor skills. As well, food preparation enhances eye-hand coordination.
- Safety skills: During food preparation we can teach children the importance of safety when dealing with food, utensils and appliances.
- Social skills: Working with other children will give the kids a sense of sharing and cooperation and an understanding of how to interact with others in groups. They will be able to learn from one another.
- Emotional development: As children learn to make something for themselves, they develop a sense of independence and a positive self-image.
- Language skills: Food activities provide a rich opportunity to learn the names of foods and utensils. Many food activities can also encourage conversations about food likes, dislikes and experiences children have had with food.